Sunday, October 28, 2012

Importance of Concept Art

Concept Art & In Game Screen Cap from Top Left
(Guild Wars 2, Bulletstorm, The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, Darksiders 2, and Trine 2)

The importance of concept art in design is something that I am very familiar with. I have wanted to be a concept artist since I joined IADT. I studied what concept art was and the importance of it in the development of Video Games. However, at the time I did not know that concept art was heavily used in a wide variety of industries.

The study that I did on these pieces pertained to Level Design. Having a great concept can relieve a lot of the pressure put on the Level Designer. They can look at the concept and determine where they need to place specific pieces, and game play aspects. They can also get a feel for the depth and mood of the level. Therefore, the importance of concept art is something that should NEVER be overlooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment